There was a discussion about cleaning fork seals back in september 1999 on
the usenet group rec.motorcycles.dirt. This is one of the helpful
hints suggested by C5FltEngnr. The white lithium grease will catch
a lot of the crud before it gets to the fork seals plus reduce stiction. A buddy of
mine who is much more mechanically inclined than I did it to his 1998 KLX300R and reported
a marked improvement. I asked him to show me how to do it the first time and we
recorded these steps. (Thanks, Dave) I am hoping that there are some other
mechanically inept people out there who might be able to use this.
1. Remove Fork Guard.
2. Gently pry off dust seal.
3. Slide down dust seal.
4. Clean dust seal and area up by fork seal.
5. Pack area behind dust seal with white lithium grease.
6. Press dust seal back up into place.
7. Bounce fork up and down and wipe off excess grease. Do
this until no more comes out.